Thursday, June 25, 2020

Getting To Know Your 2020 UDFAs: Carter Williams

Welcome to this series that I consider as special in my heart. This is where I interview the 2020 undrafted free agent signees, get to know them better, in turn, you get to know them too. Past the scouting reports, past other people's opinions, straight from the source themselves. However, I am going to cover those prospects who did not have the media fanfare, the attention, the spotlight. I am going to focus on the prospects beyond the 7 selections of the 2020 MLB Draft.

This interview is very verbatim. I don't want to edit what the prospects said about the topics so that you can feel what type of personality they had. In turn, you see mine as well. I am using initials (mine's W, the draftees depend on the first letter of their first name).

In this post, I interviewed Carter Williams, an outfielder from NC Central University. Even thought the interview took longer than expected due to some delays, I still really enjoyed my interview with Carter because he answered the questions that I asked really well. He's very articulated and has put a lot of thought into answering those. I really appreciated that one and I hope you enjoy reading this one!


W: How are you doing right now Carter and how does it feel to be a Giant?

C: I’m doing well, trying to stay positive during this pandemic and just really stay motivated. The best way to stay motivated for me is going out to the baseball field with my dad and just really staying active. Being a Giant feels amazing! This feeling is a surreal, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world! All of the hard work me and my dad put in since I was 4 payed off!

W: Looks like your father is the big drive in your baseball life and life in general. Father's Day was just a few days ago too. How did you celebrate the day now that he's seen you become a pro baseball player?

W: Yes he is one of the reasons why I love the game so much! He’s an awesome father, mentor, and motivator! We celebrated Father’s Day with a nice dinner and we talked about what is next for me, and what we are going to work on with my game to help me be the best.

W: That's really nice! I would like to touch on the process after the draft. It's very unique. How did the process went for you? Did other clubs also pursue you like the Giants and what made you ultimately chose the Giants?

C: The process after the draft for me, was filled with excitement and jubilation. People were contacting me and congratulating me, along with numerous articles. It’s still very unbelievable to us, but we are beyond thankful for the opportunity! Yes several clubs pursued in me. I chose the Giants because of their great history as well as the player development and outstanding fan support!

W: Yeah it's great to see you with the org! You had an outstanding college career in NCCU, where you have the school record for most hits. How did NCCU helped you shaped your baseball career and can you describe your emotions when the games were stopped because of the pandemic?

C: I let my work speak for itself, I was put in leadership roles where I was the lead off batter at times. I tried to lead by example, no moment was ever to big. From playing N.C. State to playing Duke. I loved to compete against who ever we played against. I was the quiet leader on and off the field, but stepping in between those white lines was business for me.

I was hurt when I found out that baseball had stopped because of the virus. It felt like a nightmare to me and it was imaginable. It made me put things more in perspective, life should always be cherished because you never know when things can end.

W: You mentioned that you faced NC State in the past. How does it feel that you are going to be teammates with Nick Swiney and Patrick Bailey, guys who you faced off against in college?

C: It’s great to be teammates with those guys because they love to compete and they give it there all every single day!

W: I'm excited to see you playing with them in the backfields! Can you describe your game for the people who would read this one but has not seen you play? Are you more of a contact-oriented guy or a power-hitting one?

C: I’d describe myself as an outfielder with plus speed and a consistent bat in the lineup. Someone who can play any position if need be, while exerting a lot of excitement which can become contagious for the team and the fans.

I’d describe my hitting style as a contact hitter who can hit to all fields with gap to gap power, but i’m wanting to develop more into a consistent power hitter.

W: Is that power something that you are going to try to improve on or are there other areas of your game that you are looking to improve?

C: I’m looking to not only improve my power, but become an all around player. Someone who is strong with all 5-tools.

W: Well, a complete player is someone to be respected. Speaking of five tools, are there any players that you look up to and try to take a piece of their game and add it to your own?

C: Yes, I love watching Lorenzo Cain! He is someone who I feel has a complete game, offensively and defensively along with his great base stealing.

W: I like Cain's game too! A true CF player. Did the Giants coaches reached to you about a potential training program that you would do during this pandemic?

C: No, we haven’t talked about a training program as of yet.

W: I see. They will most likely to talk to you soon. Is it fine to ask if you've faced racism in the baseball field and what are your thoughts on the current situation that America is in? I think that it's great that it's really getting brought to the light. It's late but better late than never. What do you think?

C: I’ve never faced racism before, But it’s heartbreaking to see what America is going through regarding racism from past to present. I feel that everyone is created equal and someone’s color of skin doesn’t make them any less of a person. Coming together as 1, would change the world and make everyone happy.

W: I agree with that and it looks like you had a lot of great teammates, coaches and friends. I think it's a good end to the interview. As a close, do you have any message to Giants fans who would read this interview?

C: Yes to the fans, I hope they enjoy reading about bits and pieces of me and that I’m so excited and happy to be a Giant! And I can’t wait to play in front of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment