Wednesday, June 24, 2020

The Luis Matos Interview

Just like what the title tells you, yes, this is the Luis Matos interview. In case you've been living under a rock or you are not a Giants fan or haven't read my prospect primer (sell out, by the way), Luis is a top 10 prospect of the organization who is one of the big 3 signings of the 2018 international cycle that's headlined by uber prospect Marco Luciano. While Luciano and Jairo Pomares hit their way in the hot backfields of Arizona, Matos played a bulk of his 2019 season in the Dominican Republic but was called up to the U.S. to play in the AZL playoffs but was injured in the semi-finals.

I've interviewed a couple of present big leaguers that are minor leaguers before, specifically Tyler Beede and Steven Duggar in 2016. It's actually quite a long time since I've done this one! I've been big followers of their growth and struggle through the minor leagues but I'm really glad that they reached the top step of ladder when they made their Major League debuts a couple of years ago. I definitely had a lot of fun conducting an interview with them before.

This is actually quite a challenge, quite honestly as Luis can't speak English and I can't speak Spanish so there's actually a language barrier. Luckily, I had a friend who can speak the two language proficiently and he gladly helped me translate and I look forward towards interviewing more Dominican prospects through him. I paraphrased his answers a bit for better clarity. It's been a lot of fun and you will also see the dreaded question, what is Luis Matos' actual weight?

W: How are you doing today Luis in this pandemic?

L: I am doing fine health-wise, thank God. I am anxious and looking forward for everything to go back to normal and start playing baseball again.

W: We're excited to see you play in the field once again. I've seen you working out with fellow Giants prospect Rayner Santana and the Basabes on Instagram. How's it like working out with them? Looks like it's a lot of fun.

L: Yes, we are training together and we are having a lot of fun in the training sessions because it's all what we like to do (playing baseball).

W: You're cousins with the Basabes and you've been raised in a baseball family. How did that setting helped you develop the love and passion for the game?

L: Yeah, almost all the members of my family plays baseball. My father and my uncle played pro baseball before and I got a lot of cousins who are currently playing in pro baseball. Growing up with them helped me develop my baseball skills. 

W: That's really great. Let's take you back to the moment you signed to the Giants a few of years ago. Are the Giants in on you on what age and what made you decide to sign for the club?

L: The Giants always showed a lot of interest in me even before the moment I signed with them.  I just wanted any team to give me an opportunity to become a professional baseball player and I am glad that the Giants gave me that opportunity.

W: What do you think about the Giants organization so far? I bet they are treating you well so far.

L: The Giants have treated me very well ever since I signed with them. I think they are a fantastic organization that has a lot of very good players.

W: You're one of the most impressive players in the Dominican Summer League last year Luis. Could you describe the experience playing for the DSL Giants and playing against the players in the league? And you went to the States late on last season to play in the AZL playoffs but you got injured. What is the experience like and how is the injury?

L: There are a lot of great players in the DSL last year. Truthfully, it was an amazing and a very beautiful experience playing against them and I'm glad that I gained confidence early on in the season. I also felt great playing in the AZL as I carried a ton of confidence because of my DSL experiences. I was injured in the semis but I feel 100% now.

W: That's great to hear. How do you describe your approach at the plate? Do you try to hit to all fields and be more patient at the plate and steal bases?

L: I really focus more than anything towards making good contact with the ball to every part of the ballpark, depending on where the pitch is located. I love to steal bases, and whenever I stole a base I was already thinking of stealing another one.

W: That's an aggressive mentality! What are the things that you are trying to improve on? Perhaps hitting for more power?

L: I've been working on my pitch selection currently.

W: I see. That's nice! How does it feel to be regarded as one of the top 10 prospects in the Giants organization at such a young age? I mean, I am very impressed from what I saw last year. I love the way you play and how much passion you play!

L: It really feels great to be recognized because that's something that I've managed to do with a lot of effort. But, I've got to keep working hard to get to the big leagues. (with a big thumbs up)

W: No doubt Luis! Keep it up! Before I ask for this interview to close, can I ask what is your weight right now? There is someone that is asking for it. I'm curious as well.

L: I currently weigh 195 lbs.

W: Gracias Luis! As for the final question, would you like say a message to Giants fans who are also big fans of your play?

L: Now more than ever, we must be united to get out of this current situation so that there would be baseball as soon as possible.

W: That's a great message Luis. I am with you on the drive to go back to normal and see you all guys play on the field. Thank you once again Luis and I look to talk to you soon!

L: Thank you very much and see you soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment