Thursday, June 13, 2019

Getting To Know Your 2019 Draftees: Kanoa Pagan

Welcome to this series that I consider as special in my heart. This is where I interview the 2019 draftees, get to know them better, in turn, you get to know them too. Past the scouting reports, past other people's opinions, straight from the source themselves. However, I am going to cover those prospects who did not have the media fanfare, the attention, the spotlight. I am going to focus on the prospects beyond top pick, Hunter Bishop. From Logan Wyatt down, I am doing my hardest to reach out on the day 2 and 3 draftees and put them on the map more to Giants fans.

This interview is very verbatim. I don't want to edit what the prospects said about the topics so that you can feel what type of personality they had. In turn, you see mine as well. I am using initials (mine's W, the draftees depend on the first letter of their first name).

In this interview, I talked to Kanoa Pagan, the 19th rounder, via his advisor Nick Salzeri. I sent a list of questions and was fortunate to get a great answer on every question. Topics to be seen are his hilarious draft story, pitching in Oracle Park pre-draft, the work he's put in, etc. I find his replies to be very candid and very honest, and I love it. I hope you find it fun too!


W: Hello Kanoa! Can you tell us how did you get the message that you have been drafted? Is your family ecstatic? Has it sunk in that you are a pro baseball player now? 

K: Funny story, our TV actually froze and we had been waiting around all day so my dad just walked outside to talk on the phone, my coach looked at his phone and goes “holy sh*t you got just drafted by the Giants”. It was a dream come true. My family is so proud of me and they are ecstatic. Having my mom and dad behind me and supporting me through all of this is a huge reason I was able to get that call that day. It still feels like a dream, but as im getting further in this process its sinking in more and more. 

W:You grew up in Campbell, very close to Oracle Park. How does it feel to be drafted by the Giants? 

K: To be able to play pro baseball alone is a dream. But what makes it especially special is I get to play for my home town team that I have grown up watching since I was a baby. I have been to countless Giants games with my friends and family and to get the opportunity to chase my dream with my home town team is something I will cherish forever. 

W: I think I have seen a picture of you throwing at Oracle Park this year. It looks like you are a step ahead of others! Can you describe what it felt like at that time? 

K: I was fortunate enough to be able to throw at Oracle for the Giants pre draft workout. It was an experience I will never forget. My breath was taken away when i walked onto that field and looked around. The best feeling in the world was throwing off the game mound, It felt magical. It gives you just that much more drive to climb the minor league ladder to get that feeling again. 

W: Being drafted past the first 2 days and reaching the Majors is quite a tall task for anyone, but I am seeing the potential from you. You improved a lot especially in terms of your polish and velocity, where you can reach high-90s. Can you tell us the rigorous work that you have done to achieve where you are today? 

Coming out of high school I had no college offers, I was fortunate enough to play at Mission Junior college is Santa Clara, where the coaching staff pushed us to be better every day. Every day I worked my tail off to get where I wanted to be, from getting to the field early for pre practice to staying after to fine tune my mechanics. It was a grind, and I believe having to go through the junior college system and grind will give me a mental advantage here in the minor leagues. 

W: What do you think is the best asset that you can bring to the field? 

K: I'm a competitor. I love competition and live for the pressure that comes with it 

W: Any current stuff that you are doing to prepare yourself for pro baseball? 

K: Working out, running and trying to keep my arm healthy. 

W: If ever you are a goalsetter, any goals that you want to achieve in short-term and long-term, possibly in terms of your development as a pitcher? 

K: I hope to develop as a pitcher and person in the Giants minor league system. Im going to trust the process and coaches around me and give it my all and see what happens.

W: Any message to the Giants community, especially those who dream of someone from the SF area reach the Majors with the Giants? 

K: I cant thank everyone enough for the love and support I was given after being selected by the Giants. I hope one day I will be able to throw in-front of all of you at Oracle park.

No comments:

Post a Comment