Friday, June 14, 2019

Getting To Know Your 2019 Draftees: Trevor McDonald

Welcome to this series that I consider as special in my heart. This is where I interview the 2019 draftees, get to know them better, in turn, you get to know them too. Past the scouting reports, past other people's opinions, straight from the source themselves. However, I am going to cover those prospects who did not have the media fanfare, the attention, the spotlight. I am going to focus on the prospects beyond top pick, Hunter Bishop. From Logan Wyatt down, I am doing my hardest to reach out on the day 2 and 3 draftees and put them on the map more to Giants fans.

This interview is very verbatim. I don't want to edit what the prospects said about the topics so that you can feel what type of personality they had. In turn, you see mine as well. I am using initials (mine's W, the draftees depend on the first letter of their first name).

In this interview, I talked to Trevor McDonald, the 11th rounder and in my opinion, the pitcher in this draft class with the highest ceiling. I had plenty of fun talking to him where it is just easy to ask questions and honestly, been hella excited to talk to him. His wanting to work hard is just oozing and really wants to do anything he can to be great. Those attributes separates those who really reach the very top. Everyone has the talent but those who work the hardest to match the talent are the ones who are going to be special, and I think this guy can. 


W: You had one of the coolest draft stories I have read, on a beach in Puerto Rico when you had the call. Can you describe the feeling of being drafted?

T: The whole process is very nerve wrecking, but finally seeing where my name was chosen was such an awesome experience. Being on a beach in Puerto Rico with my senior classmates just made it that much better!

W: That sure is! How does it feel to be drafted by the Giants, joining a group that has Joey Bart and Heliot Ramos in their farm system?

T: It feels great! I’ve always liked the Giants organization. Hopefully I can make my way through their farm system and into San Francisco as quickly as possible.

W: The sooner, the better! Can you describe to us the approach and the repertoire that you have on the mound?

T: I have a 4 pitch mix, and I try to attack the zone with all 4 of those pitches. I feel that my control and pitch ability, along with development, is good enough to play at the next level.

W: I like the self-confidence that you have, and that's a must for a pitcher! Do you consider yourself to have a bread and butter pitch to get you out of tight situation?

T: In high school I was able to rely on the velocity of my fastball mostly. In the minor leagues I will have to see what pitch becomes my go to!

W: And you faced off against some of the best HS players in the country this year, starting with the PG World Showcase and against Jackson Prep with Jerrion Ealy, where you dominated him. How does it feel to be facing against some of those highly regarded players?

T: I try not to look at any batter any differently from another. As everyone knows, anybody can beat anybody in baseball. Therefore, I go after batters like Jerrion just like anybody else and attack the zone.

W: I love that answer man. You made great improvements this year in terms of your physique and your repertoire in general. Do you have any plans in mind in terms of your development as a pitcher?

T: Clearly I want to continue to get better overall as a pitcher, but also, to make whatever changes necessary and be able to adapt to the new level of competition I’ll be playing against.

W: That's a great thing to know. Can we know when do you plan to sign with the organization? Soon?

T: Whenever the contract gets put in front of me! haha

W: I see! Haha. We are at the end of the interview. Any message to the Giants fans especially those who hopes for you to succeed at the highest level?

T: I can’t wait to get my career started and I am definitely going to work hard for you guys!

W: Great stuff man. Absolutely great stuff. I really see the potential with the work ethic to match. Thank you for your time man!

T: No problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment